Unisol® Fiber optic connectors provide an extensive line of high-performance fiber optic connectors for termination of end of an optic fiber cable and enable quicker connection and disconnection. The connectors mechanically couple and align the cores of fibers so that light can pass. Better connectors lose very little light due to the reflection or misalignment of the fibers.
A variety of Fiber optic connectors like SC, ST, LC, FC, MTRJ, SMA, DNP, SMI & SC-RJ are available but SC and LC connectors are the most common types of connectors on the market. Typical connectors are rated for 500–1000 mating cycles. The main differences among types of connectors are dimensions and methods of mechanical coupling. Different connectors are required for multimode and single-mode fibers.
Fiber optic connector types:
When choosing fiber optic connectors, it is necessary to ensure that its properties meet the needs of the particular application in question. Some fiber optic connectors may be suitable for different optical fibers, and this needs to be taken into consideration.
There is a wide variety of different fiber optic connectors available. A selection of some is given below:
- FC/PC This form of fiber optic connectors is used for single-mode fiber optic cable. It provides a very accurate positioning of the single-mode fiber optic cable concerning transmitter (optical source) or the receiver (optical detector).
- SC This form of the connector is mainly used with single-mode fiber optic cables. The connector is simple low cost and reliable. The location and alignment are provided using a ceramic ferrule. It also has a locking tab to enable it to be mated and removed without fear of it accidentally falling loose.
- Plastic fiber optic cable connectors As the name implies, these fiber optic cable connectors are only used with plastic fiber optic cabling.
- High Precision Ceramic Ferrule
- High Precision Polymer housing
- Simplex or Duplex
- High Precision Nickel-plated brass housing
- APC Green Polymer housing with 900μm and 3mm strain relief boot
- Low Insertion Loss
- Low Return Loss
- Ease of installation
- Low cost
- Low environmental sensitivity
- Ease of use